Monday, December 29, 2008

Time to Plant and Tend Your Garden!


Around Thanksgiving PJ and I saw this cool TV news story about a guy who diligently tends what he calls two “gardens”: one is a vegetable garden, and the other is a service he provides daily on the highways of California for people who have broken down, run out of gas or have flat tires. His truck is plainly marked so people know he’s *for real*. He accepts no money for this service he cheerfully renders whenever he sees someone pulled over, obviously with a car that’s stopped working. He simply gives each person a card asking them to help others whenever they can, in whichever way they can. That’s all. Simple, profound, real and amazing. So like Christ. Sure, it’s easier for this guy because he’s retired and has the time for this full time service and somehow has the funds for the gallons of gasoline and antifreeze/coolant he dispenses, and the varieties of fan belts he replaces. But surely, somehow, on some level we can all plant and tend gardens like this, too, in ways which are safe for us and helpful for others. We just have to be watchful and open for opportunities. Because, my friends, you may have been noticing this too: more than ever people are becoming more callous, crass and de-sensitized to the needs of others. If we ever needed to plant seeds of kindness and regularly tend and be generous in giving out of the fruits, it surely is NOW.
Last week after leaving a meeting and doing a fast errand at Staples, I joined countless others in the parking lot whose cars were covered over with a thick misery of snow which was liberally coated with ice, and sleet still coming down. Lovely. I’d come away from the house without gloves, but at least I had a scraper! With the car running and defrosters heating up, I dug in with the scraper, trying to ignore my cold hands while remembering the law about clearing the roof of the car too. Just as I was finishing up with my car, a man came out to start this same work on his SUV, only he had gloves but no scraper. It would be a hard go for him getting through all that ice. The least I could do was just step over and help….so I did. “Let me give you a hand with that….at least I have a scraper,” I said, beginning with the passenger side as that was closest to where I was standing. As soon as all that area was cleared and I’d begun working on the driver’s side, the man said with no particular feeling, “That’s ok….my wife’s driving”. (!!!!) I only looked at him for a second [I didn’t glare….really…..I was too stunned] and then just started in on the driver’s side. I think he reconsidered what he said because, a little embarrassingly he followed up with, “Um…..I guess I shouldn’t have said that.” I smiled and told him I thought probably he’d like for his wife to be able to see where she’d be driving him and we both continued on in silence until his car was acceptably cleared.
My hands were fine. All the scraping was fine. It had been worth it, especially with this particular man. Who knows what his life is like to casually say something like that….to a woman who was pitching in to help his scraperless-self out of an icy, snowy mess. When I got into my car, though, my brief prayer liberally included his wife.
Many of you are generous in so many ways. I’m merely trying to call attention to another vital area which takes little time or energy and provides much satisfaction for you as well as providing acts of kindness and faith which will sow seeds that will change the world. Really. Jesus chose one person at a time. More than 2000 years ago He selected only 12 disciples who diligently spread His gospel throughout regions of the world, calling more and more ordinary people, and Christianity continues to grow as the huge force of goodness, grace, love and salvation in our world today. One person at a time. Please remember this whenever you might think to yourself, “well, it’s only me….what can I do…what can I give….what do I have to offer…I’m only one person”.
There’s a scripture in 1 Peter I’d like to share and then morph it around to fit this situation about 2009 being the year you diligently plant your *garden* and generously, creatively share from it. “Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith” (1 Peter 5:8). Put this scripture together with a quote from Eli Weisel: “Evil happens when good people stand idly by and do nothing”. I know you’re getting the picture here. But let’s turn the concept to face into the joy of it: LOVE happens when good people step up and do something. Just a little something. Scraping here, a kindness there, a smile or soft word….whatever fruits you creatively grow in your garden and share generously with the world. Why not let 2009 be the year you intentionally plant such a garden. Become more aware, sew the seeds, share the fruits and reap the harvest. You will be blessed. Happy New Year! Happy New YOU!
Love,
Karen Brook Westhaver +

No comments: