Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mantra for the season...for all the time


Insomnia. Not a a good thing. Lots of you know this "up close and personal", I'm sure. We have a sort of club, don't we? But the meetings are all held individually, keeping a kind of watch through the night until maybe, just maybe, sleep might come. And oh yes I've had this all evaluated and treated etc. Blah blah. You may well know the concept and if so, I'm sorry. There is something unique about being awake in the middle of the night, knowing there are countless others who are awake as well. There is a prayer which is sometimes said toward the end of a late night evening service (called Compline) which if sleep is elusive for you, too, you may relate with also: "
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and
give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give
rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted,
shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen."

For those of you who are occasional or more regular members of the insomniac guild, I hope that prayer ministers to you. There's something peaceful about it to me, even though I'm not in the weeping or generally not in the working catagory which it references.

BUT. For all of us not only in the hecticness of this holiday season, but wrestling (at least at times) with the overall difficultness which comes with winter and life in general these days, there's this other saying which keeps coming to the forefront of my mind like a mantra when needed. I used to know who wrote it, but a quick Internet search only showed me that tons of other people know this phrase as well, but no author is mentioned. Don't you all have people in your life which cause you inwardly to go "grrrrr"? Perhaps outwardly, too. Hey! A yawn just came on! But before I sign off I have to share it with you in the hopes it may help someone retain (or regain) their peace in stressful times:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind
of battle".
For me, it helps with getting get back in touch with compassion when it's gotten a little overly stretched. I hope it'll do the same for you,
too :-)

No comments: