Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"In the bleak midwinter..." Time to Look Forward


It's not even officially winter yet. Somehow it doesn't "feel" like Christmas either. None of the "happy happy, jolly jolly" stuff of other years. Isn't it funny how that seems to wax and wane with other ongoing *seasons* or rhythms in your life, or events of life flowing all around you, sweeping you up making it take bunches of energy just to stay focused with your feet under you?


For a couple of years, before the economy bottomed out, even, for spiritual reasons, PJ and I have kept a "smaller Christmas". Small on decorations and small on gifts except for others. As others' pressures build in the holiday season, we have found it more important personally to stay as focused as we can on the whole reason for the season....the Christ in Chritmas. We have one candle in the kitchen window and I have to say I miss the candle in every window image. It is so welcoming. But I can't justify the electric extra for that. When the price of Christmas trees went through the roof a few years back we decided the focal point was going to be our nativity scene instead of a tree, and we've stayed with that. In fact, even that's become more simple. Last year a close friend gave us a set of polished olive wood figures from Israel of Mary, Joseph, the manger and the baby Jesus. Those, together with a contemporary metal tree have become our "nativity" atop our low mantel in the TV room. It fits perfectly both in the room and in our hearts.

Still, something is harder, different this year. Can't quite put my finger on it. Today I read this poem, though which is something I'm going to carry with me for the next few weeks into the New Year. Here it is, and I hope it blesses you as it did me:

"I know
it's hard to be reconciled
not everything is exactly
the way it ought to be.

but please turn around
and step into the future
leave memories behind
enter the land of hope"
-- Zbigniew Herbert, from A Life


Make sure this Christmas you intentionally set aside some time just for you to spend at the manger. Drag aside the old weariness and other things weighing you down, sit and rest as you gaze into the face of Jesus. Then, close your eyes and look.....with the fresh newness that can only come from a baby. Now expand that vision and look at the world as the Infant Jesus does. See His wonder, hear His delight.....feel deeply His warm loving smile as He gazes at YOU. Embrace that feeling and hold it deep in your heart. You know, we don't have to reserve a trip to the manger for just Christmas. It is the very best part.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey!

I had never been to the UCP web site and discovered both your and PJ's blogs. Good reads, both of them!

In fact, you both are now on my blogroll.....

Karen Brook said...

Thanks, Walt :-) I enjoyed your blog, too! Cool stuff on there. You can be sure I'll be a regular reader of "Manchvegas"... very nifty title. Thanks for the comment!