Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Twitter...who'd a thought!


I've heard about this for a little while and decided tonight I'd give this "Twitter" thing a look-see. www.Twitter.com is pretty cool. Lots of reasons. You're limited to 160 characters in a post which is good discipline for a writer. Short little "real world" commentary in stead of profound thoughts, insights or venting. A Twitter "post" is called a Tweet. Cute! "All the little birds go tweet tweet tweet..."
Despite all the conveniences meant to make life more simple and tasks easier to complete so we have more time for connection with friends as well as to engage in other pursuits, let me ask you. Have you found you have more time as a result of technology? Um...me neither. Don't get me wrong. I love gizmos and technology both fascinates me as well as fascilitates my getting things done which does make these things faster and more fun, too.

But connection with others. That's the tougher thing. Geography, pain, other issues like time and major busyness...things I'm doing, busyness of friends etc. are great limiters of maintaining the connections. For communication I'm grateful for email, voicemail, cell phone and land line and even my answering machine. But that spontanaeity thing is hard to capture, that sense of little quips one might share with friends without framing stuff in an entire email or a blog post. Love my cell phone and the odd, occasional text message but our wireless account isn't set up for lots of texting and it would be a huge expense to use my phone for Internet access (due to how we've set up our plan/contract). Also, not a whole lot of time for that with my cell phone, too. Use my computer mostly for this sort of communique.

So I checked out the Twitter thing, and now I'm on board. Cool concept, really. So, calling all friends....tweet tweet! And of course, it's SisterTroi - just as in my email address. SisterTroi "tweets" that you all have a good night's rest. Peace!

No comments: