Saturday, January 17, 2009

Close to my heart




Ok. I'll share something several have asked about over the years. "Are you a...some kind of....well, like...sort of... a monk-ess or something....???" is a question that every once and a while someone asks me. And I try to describe that, kind of, yes. Since November of 1986 I have been a member of the Fellowship of St. John, which is part of the *body*, but in a different format indeed, of the Society of St. John the Evangelist. www.ssje.org The picture above is of my "order cross" which I received when I was received into the Fellowship. I used to wear it very often, but I haven't in the past few years as I have not wanted it to be a distraction or confusion to others in my participation in ministry here at the United Church of Penacook. The message in this cross, though, is universally Christian, as inscribed around the center are the words of Jesus, "Dwell in me as I dwell in you".

The SSJE is the oldest religious order for Anglican men. HOWEVER the Fellowship of St. John includes BOTH men and women, clergy and lay people, married and single. At our profession of membership in the Fellowship, our vows are different, of course, than those of the men who become monks and live in the monastery. But we do strive to live by a "rule" of life which strengthens us, gives us accountability (though there are no SSJE "police" who check to see how well we're doing :-)and a sense of order in a life filled with busy-ness and many responsibilities to others. It provides a reminder and a means to keep some kind of balance among all the other things which constantly pull at us in the world. It is also an ongoing connection to a community that has long been an extended family to me.

Amid the wide (and sometimes drastic) veerings of the Episcopal church (the main expression of the Anglican Communion in the USA) I have been grateful that the SSJE has maintained a more "orthodox" Anglican view embracing traditional Biblical stances on things like marriage and, well, I'm sure you all read the news or can't escape it on TV. But they manage to do this always with love and graciousness. The warmth which envelopes you the moment you enter either the chapel for worship from the outside (all services of worship are open to the public), or the guest house for a retreat is both refreshing and instantly relaxing. Well, it's WAY more than just *relaxing*...for me, it has always been a profound sense of coming home and being welcomed with open, expectant arms which are happy to see me. It is a place of deep restoration and healing.
From my first retreat there, I knew this was a special place, an extraordinary group of people with several wonderful missions in the world. The brothers are not "cloistered", living only in the monastery and enclosed, but instead they live what is called a "mixed life". They teach, preach and do all sorts of things in helping spread the gospel and minister to many kinds of people throughout so many different places. But they also gather (whenever possible)for prayer in the chapel, often hastening to put on their habits (black cassock with rope belt, and black scapular) over their clothing as they hurry to gather from wherever they've been.


The music is sublime! and the food is delicious. The guest rooms are comfortable and the monastery is close to Harvard Square and right across from the Charles River, as it's located on Memorial Drive in Cambridge, MA. The quest for an ever deepening relationship with Jesus is set within wonderful worship and simple services of prayer throughout the day and into the evening. I am always renewed and strengthened when I am there (it's been way too long since I've been....this year I just MUST schedule a few days there).
If you have time, click on the link to their web site and wander a while through the pages of tours of the monastery's simple chapel (it is so 360 degrees you can even see the inside of the high vaulted wooden ceiling!)and guest house, listen to some of the music and perhaps book mark the web site to come back and read even more. NOT that I'm trying to recruit anyone...just sharing what has always been sweet, cool deep water for a thirsty spirit and warm love and joy for a weary heart. Enjoy! www.ssje.org

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Monastic communities are special places. It's heartening to know that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I have heard of the Society of St. John the Evangelist, but I've never spent any time with them. Your association with the SSJE sounds like that of an Oblate with a monastery that follows the Rule of St. Benedict. There are a few around here, in fact that have Oblates; two that I know of are Glastonbury Abbey (Swiss-American Benedictines) in Hingham and St. Joseph Abbey in Spencer (Trappists). I've spent time with both monastic communities and I regard them equally, in terms of places where I can go to rest, recharge, and renew. My friend Fr. Gerald is one of the 14 monks that live in Hingham. He is probably one of the most insightful people I have ever encountered. And he jokes that he was "ordained in the last year the Catholic Church legitimately ordained its priests - 1962." It took me a minute to figure out the humor in that remark....

Sometime, when we get to have that chat over a really large mug of coffee, you'll have to tell me more about this community. I downloaded their Rule - found it to be very much worth reading.