Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Trust God


Every vacation comes with its own adventures. For PJ and I, though, we often have “adventures” in the process of getting to the vacation part. This summer was no exception.
Because the beginning of this story is a bit “indelicate” in nature, I hesitated to write about it except that the lesson in it is so profound। And, after all, if anyone has ever had a child, cared for a baby for any length of a time, is related to one or friends with someone with one, you’d be familiar with this concept. So that pretty much makes this universal.

We are grateful that the cottage we rent by the ocean allows us to bring our entire “tribe” of 4 cats and 1 dog। The cats ride in three carriers with me (an immense one for 2 cats and regular size units for the other two). This is the second summer of bringing our marvelous cat Jazz with us. Those of you who’ve met him know he still has a wildness about him in appearance and nature, yet he’s not “feral” or antisocial. He is affectionate, polite and has an amazing quiet sense of “catiquette” in dealing with his three adopted female feline siblings. He is a total gentleman, very proud, yet retains that certain wildness which makes us even more thankful that he chooses to make us his family.

So, the cars were loaded and the carriers stacked in their usual configuration on the passenger side, easy for me to talk to the cats and reassure them with a finger through a vent holes now and then। We made marvelous progress to the ocean with good timing and little traffic. Despite some cat conversation on the way, we seemed to be doing very well. Pretty soon we were near bays of the ocean where the tide was out with its unique, strong and not particularly pleasant “the tide’s out” smell, with some other overtone to it I couldn’t quite put my finger on. Yet after passing these areas, the smell persisted and I detected another distinctly feline aroma – even more unpleasant. No - it couldn’t be. Well, nothing to do about it now and the cats appeared to be calm in their carriers.

I called PJ in the car ahead of me to alert him of our “situation” and we devised a plan for me to quickly bring Jazz’s carrier (his was the source of the foul smelling problem) directly into the bathroom of the cottage immediately upon arrival।

Wow, I felt so badly for Jazz and couldn’t understand the reason behind his dilemma। I dashed his carrier into the bathroom, stopping only to grab a roll of soft paper towels and closed the door behind us. Zipping open his carrier and lifting him out, I saw what can only be described by those who are acquainted with babies, something similar to the results of the amazing exploding diaper. The poor cat. He was cooperating, but just barely as I held him with his hind legs resting on the sink while I ran the water to a comfortable temperature. Soothing him the best I could, he was not a happy camper and a complete mess from his hind legs, private parts and tail. Talking reassuringly the whole time, I was doing my best to clean him with wet paper towels, washing where I could reach and dabbing discretely in his more sensitive areas.

This was just not working। It was doing a slow bit of good, but I really needed to bathe the entire bottom half of the cat and gently hand wash his most personal areas. I knew he realized what I was thinking and his expression clearly told me he was not in favor of this idea. But truly, it was in his best interest. So, I stopped the entire process and, with his hind feet still comfortably on the sink edge, I looked him in the eye and gently but firmly (with a lot of hope) said two words: “Trust me”. INSTANTLY everything changed. His look met mine and he stopped squirming to let me do what was necessary and to his benefit. I knew he wasn’t enjoying the process, but he had completely relinquished control to me. This was not resignation nor giving up, but a choice on his part - a deliberate choice made while we were looking intently into one another’s eyes when I said “Trust me” and he elected to do so.

This story has a happy ending and rather quickly Jazz was a clean, sweet smelling and toweled dry cat. Afterward, he was very attentive to me and extra affectionate as if to say “Thank you, thank you, thank you”. My friends, how similar this is to our own wrestling between doing things our way and relinquishing our will to God, to trusting Him. In John 14:1 Jesus says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.” There are countless other scriptures about trusting God, but I would leave you with this challenge. September is a time of new beginnings. Why not make this a time you intentionally, consistently, prayerfully decide in every instance where a decision is to be made to trust the Lord and do it His way. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13).

No comments: